We have a new policy at Wescosville Elementary School regarding birthday celebrations. Due to the fact that we have a high number of students with potentially life threatening food allergies, we are limiting the amount of food that will be served in the classroom. This reduces the possibility of exposure for those students who are at risk.
We will still be allowing birthday celebrations in school. However, it has been decided that each classroom will designate one day per month to celebrate all of the birthdays of that month.
I will notify parents of the dates for each month's birthday celebration. It is not mandatory for you to participate (i.e. you do not have to send in a treat for the students). If you do choose to participate, please keep the following guidelines in mind:
* Small items or prizes (such as pencils, erasers, etc.) can be sent in to school in place of a food treat. These can be found at the dollar store or at www.orientaltrading.com, and can therefore be less expensive than providing a food treat.
* If you do send in a food treat, the treat must be a prepackaged treat so that we have the ingredients list if necessary.
* NO UNANNOUNCED TREATS WILL BE SERVED IN CLASS. We need to be able to check with our school nurses ahead of time to make sure that the food is safe for all students.
* I encourage you to try to think of healthier snacks for the kids instead of the usual cupcakes/ cookies/ donuts that we often serve. We are trying to teach the students about healthy eating habits.
* There are a few students that have peanut allergies. Please keep this in mind if you are sending in a treat.